Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Carpe Diem! My virgin run at blogging!

I found myself typing this quite by accident really.  I was trying to pin one of my own hobby creations to my Pinterest, and came across some stumbling blocks.  Apparently I don't know enough about my newly found Pinterest to figure out how to link to the photo albums I already have on Facebook and Picasa Web.  Or perhaps it's not that I can't figure out how; perhaps the option's not available.  So naturally, since I already can't figure out half of the programs/websites/apps I'm currently attempting to use, I decided to start something else that I know nothing about.  I'm really just an idea person, but since I don't have a secretary I'm going to adapt and learn to also be a voice for some of my ideas.  I'm hoping that by the end of this first blog I will have figured out how to link these blogs to my Pinterest.  If not, then at the very least I will have started on a blog, which has been a passing thought from time to time anyway.  I'm just still not very sure what my blog will be about.  My hobbies?  I have too many to name.  My art?  Typically I'd rather just be creating art versus talking about it.  Politics?  I definitely have my opinions on the subject, sometimes very strong opinions, but these days I tend not to go there because it causes stress and strain.  Sometimes I'm the one getting stressed, and sometimes others.  I've noticed on my Facebook that most people in my circles tend to avoid stating their opinions openly.  The ones that do, they tend to state their opinions as if they were fact, with a very closed-minded approach.  Neither of those options appeal to me.  Religion?  Oh, I do sooooo stay away from that subject most usually these days.  Religion isn't an opinion, it's a lifestyle, and I don't like to step on another's toes.  My view of the world?  Sure, why not?  When the desire hits me, that is.  However, I'll save that for another day.  Today I'll blog about what brought me to this page in the first place, which was a desire to find a spot for a few images of some landscaping I'd done.  Not necessarily the landscaping, although that is yet another hobby of mine.  The mosaic steps I made to go in the center of the landscaping is what I'd wanted to add to my Pinterest.  Not that I don't love hunting and sharing other people's ideas and projects, because I do and I will and I have.  But my own Pinterest should have some of my own creations and projects, should it not?  I'm a do-it-yourself kinda girl.  Sometimes I don't even like to be shown how to do something.  I'd prefer to go through the time-consuming agony-and-defeat process of figuring it out all by myself.  Just like I'm doing right now.  I have no idea how to attach my pictures to this.  I have no idea if, when I'm done, I'll know how to link this to my Pinterest.  I just know I don't feel like reading the how-to articles or taking a class to learn.  I'd rather wing it.  I say that with the utmost confidence (not really, the confidence is fake). 
Anyway, back to my mosaic steps.  I had a little hill.  By little I mean you could walk up this hill in four strides.  On one side was what we called the "daffodil hill", which is about a 20-foot stretch of rows of daffodils and daylilies.  The daffodils bloom in February and the daylilies bloom typically in May (if the deer don't eat them all).  On the other side is a semi-circle garden that had been completely overcome with ivy that I painstakingly pulled out by the roots and slowly replaced with flowers that know how to mind their manners and stay where I tell them to stay.  Between these two groups was this little "pathway" up the hill that was trampled on until nothing grew.  So I decided it needed some stepping stones.  So I bought these cheap, ugly rectangular concrete blocks and turned them into mosaic stones.  I used Spanish tile and iridescent tile left over from other projects, and I used grout the color of dirt so I'd have no future maintenance to deal with.  And in the photos you'll see (well, you'll see it directly below this if that "insert image" button is as easy as it looks, I haven't gotten that far yet) that I planted Irish moss below each stepping stone.  That died.  Within a week.  So then I planted phlox.  Very pretty.  It liked the spot, and has filled in quite nicely.  But it's too tall and hides too much of the mosaic work.  So I will eventually go back to the drawing board on that.  It's still a work in progress.  "Work in progress" sounds so much kinder than "unfinished project", which is what the man-of-the-house calls all of my works in progress.  And speaking of work in progress, I guess I'll wrap up my first attempt at blogging and move on to figuring out the rest of this process.  The typing what's on your mind part has always been easy for me.  Now I have to figure out all the internet stuff that goes with it.  What does "insert jump break" mean and what are "Labels" and "Permalinks"?  I don't know, but I'm proceeding anyway.





Well, will you look at that?!  The "insert image" button was just as easy as it looked!  Perhaps one day I'll be motivated enough to add the update shots I've taken now that everything has filled in.  Today, however, I'm a day late and a dollar short on ten different ongoing projects!  Carpe diem!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment